Since the inception of flowers on this earth it has captivated the mind of people in various ways. It has always beautified the life. We take flowers for birthday, anniversary, or marriage to wish our friends, family, and loved ones. Because nothing else can portray the love of our heart the way flowers can do. Flowers are used for decorating all our important festivals and occasions. Apart from that flowers as a gift is loved by all. The
Here are few interesting facts about flowers that are an intrinsic part of our lives:
- Tulips lives only from3-7 days. Do you know that in 17th Century Holland, Tulip bulbs were more valuable than gold or any other expensive jewel? The flower symbolized immortality, life and love. In 1630’s a kind of frenzy for tulips occurred in Western Europe named “Tulip mania” and tulips became so expensive as to be treated as a form of currency. Holland still is the best place to search fascinating Tulips. Who can forget Amsterdam and its variety of tulips?
- Gas Plant or the Burning Bush as it is sometimes called, earned it’s name because it’s leathery green leaves, flowers and seed pods give off a strong lemon scented vapor which, on a calm summer night can be ignited with a match. It is also known as Dictamnus and found mostly in southern Europe, North Africa and much of Asia.
- Angelica was used in Europe for over centuries as a cure for everything from the bubonic plague to indigestion. It is thought that adding it to a ritual bath will break spells and hexes and has often been used to ward off evil spirits from home. It is sometimes known as wild celery because it resembles celery in odor and appearance. Research also say that Angelica is a good herbal tea to take for colic, gas, indigestion, hepatitis, and heartburn. It is useful to add in remedies for afflictions of the respiratory system, as well as liver problems and digestive difficulties.
- Have you ever seen flowers of bamboo? Well, some species of bamboo develop flowers after 65 or 120 years. The most grueling fact about this flowering bamboo is that all plants of one bamboo species develop flowers at the same time, no matter where they are located in the world. Isn’t that just a wonderful news? Bamboo releases 30% more oxygen into the atmosphere and absorbs more carbon dioxide compared to other plants thus helps in clearing the air from greenhouse gases.
- The lotus was considered a sacred flower by ancient Egyptians and was used in burial rituals. This flower blooms in rivers and damp wetlands, but may lie dormant for years during times of drought, only to rise again with the return of water. Egyptians viewed it as a symbol of resurrection and eternal life. While others view the flower as a symbol of beauty, grace, purity and serenity.
A gift of flower is always the best one. Send happy birthday flowers to your loved one and share these facts with them as well.